Team Interstate: Solid Finishes Keep Kyle, Carl in Championship Hunt
Team Interstate‘s Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards scored top-five finishes at Texas Motor Speedway on Sunday, keeping both within reach of the Championship round of the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship.
Rookie Erik Jones filled in for Matt Kenseth, delivering a solid 12th-place finish, while Denny Hamlin suffered a mechanical issue early in the race that left him a 38th-place finish.
Sunday’s AAA Texas 500 was the second race of the Eliminator Round of 8 in the Chase. After next week’s race in Phoenix, the field will be reduced to just four teams. A final Championship Four will compete on November 22 for the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
- Jeff Gordon: First to qualify for the final four with his win last weekend in Martinsville
- Jimmie Johnson: Won Sunday but was already eliminated from the Chase
- Kyle Busch: Second in points, 11 points ahead of fifth
- Carl Edwards: Fifth place
- Martin Truex, Jr.: Seven points ahead of Carl Edwards
Seven drivers will compete for the last three spots and a chance to run for the Championship in Homestead. Kyle can clinch his spot in the Championship with a finish of third place or better at Phoenix, regardless of how anyone else finishes.
NASCAR Xfinity Series
Texas Motor Speedway
- No. 18 – Daniel Suarez – 6th
- No. 20 – Erik Jones – 4th
- No. 54 – Kyle Busch – 14th
NASCAR: Phoenix International Raceway